Monday, January 24, 2011

HOMEMADE MEALS MONDAYS: moroccan chicken stew

Yesterday morning, the hubs and I went to the local weekly farmer's market, which we try to do whenever we get the chance.  We always go to this booth which sells grass-fed beef and organic, free-range chicken. So we bought 2 one-pound ground beef and half of a whole chicken.  So I thought I would do something with the chicken.  First I thought I should roast it but then it wasn't a whole chicken so I don't how that would work and I didn't want to spend too much time waiting for the chicken to cook in the oven.  Then, I thought I'll use the slow cooker to make something so the hubs can watch a movie in the theater yeah!  Then I remembered this Moroccan chicken recipe my friend had given me a while ago.  Well I couldn't use the whole recipe as I wanted to make a healthy, Paleo dish and I didn't have some of the ingredients on hand.  So here is what I came up with which actually turned out really well!

Moroccan Chicken Stew

1/2 whole chicken or 2 lbs worth of chicken pieces (If you do not have good knives or just don't want to deal with the hassle of de-boning, I suggest getting boneless chicken pieces.)
1 onion (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (cut into 1in. pieces)
1 green bell pepper (cut into 1in. pieces)
1 27oz can of plum tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
2 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoon of almond butter

ingredients

This recipe, as most slow cooker recipes, is very easy.  First, place onion, red and green bell peppers, tomato, tomato paste, cumin, paprika and water into the slow cooker.  Mix it all up.  Then nestle the chicken pieces in the mixture.  Turn slow cooker on for 6-7 hrs on low.  (We didn't have much time so we had it on high for 3 hours but the veggies weren't as soft as we wanted them but were still yum!!!)  Add the almond butter at the very end when you are ready to serve.  Add salt & pepper to taste.  Voila, that's it!  For non-Paleo, serve with rice or couscous! 

Moroccan chicken stew




2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna try it tonight, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey remy. thanks for sharing these recipes!

    ReplyDelete