Friday, January 7, 2011

FEATURE FOOD FRIDAYS: dim sum at LA's Chinatown!

Ahhh the joys of Fridays. Fridays are usually when I start my weekend splurge whoohoo!  So it's always a special day. :)  Today,  some peeps from work (Jamie, Michael, and Viviane) and I decided to go to dim sum at Empress Pavilion in Chinatown - one of the perks of working in DTLA!  Dim sum is sort of like tapas at a Spanish restaurant.  You get to try a bunch of different kinds of dishes served on a small plate or a small steamer.  And the best part is...these dishes are on carts to be served to you!  Here are pictures of some of our dishes.  Thanks to Viviane who spoke Cantonese, we were able to try a couple of new different dishes today yay!
bbq pork (top) and roasted pork with skin (I personally liked the latter more)
flat rice noodles filled with shrimp (top) and beef (bottom)

pan-fried flat rice noodles with shrimp (top), shumai (center). and the ones at bottom are shrimp dumplings I think
Chinese broccoli for some fiber hehe
famous steamed pork buns and egg custard buns (so sweet and so good)
So I tried the taro cake for the first and loved it!  I thought I took a picture of it but I guess that's when I dropped my camera phone on the Chinese broccoli yikes!  Enjoy the pictures!  Tune in on Monday when I attempt to make one of my favorite dishes - Chicken Milanese - Paleo style.  Paleo style means no bread crumbs, no flour or cheese, this should be interesting.  Until then, hasta la vista!

No comments:

Post a Comment