Friday, January 21, 2011

FEATURE FOOD FRIDAYS: birthday sushi & triple chocolate mousse cake!

sashimi lunch special from Sushi Gen

Today's feature Friday revolves around two of my food loves: Sushi Gen sushi and Porto's Cuban bakery.  For my birthday celebration, a group of work peeps and I went to Little Tokyo for our sushi fix.  Not just any sushi spot, we went to my favorite - Sushi Gen!  I have been coming here for lunch for at least six years.  Hands down, the best, freshest sushi in Little Tokyo!  Why not right?  Fish market is seriously down the street from it.  So fresh the yellowtail just melts like butter in your mouth, yummy!  Here is a picture of my sashimi lunch special - it comes with miso soup, tofu appetizer, cucumber salad, rice and all this yummy sashimi all for about $15.  There is a price for the yummy sushi, everyone wants some and there usually is a line so come early!

Porto's awesome triple chocolate mousse cake
So it seems that there is a common denominator amongst all my friends...FOOD!!! That certainly is the case with my girlfriend, Marilyn.  She and I bonded over three years ago over a certain cake from a certain bakery - the delicious but light triple chocolate mousse cake from Porto's bakery.  Porto's has awesome empanadas, potato balls, guava rolls, cheese rolls, breads...all kinds of pastries and cakes.  So yummy!!  I've had their Parisian chocolate cake, cheesecake, mango mousse cake, fruit tarts, tiramisu, red velvet cake...but the one I keep coming back to is their triple chocolate mousse cake.  It's three layers of goodness, the bottom is like this dark chocolate cake, the middle is chocolate mousse, the top layer is white chocolate mousse topped off with a hefty serving of white chocolate shavings.  It's amazing - it tastes light and it is so tasty!!!  You'll have to try it out for yourself!  





No comments:

Post a Comment