Wednesday, April 27, 2011

WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS: no more chocolate milk in our schools!

Today is a great day for Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) kids...Superintendent John Deasy announced that there are plans to remove chocolate and/or strawberry-flavored milk, starting next fall.  Yeah!!! Check out the article!

Why am I so excited about this?!  Yes, I know I don't have children at LAUSD.  I actually don't have any children at the moment.  But soon, the time will come when the hubs and I will have kids and they will attend LAUSD.  Another reason why I'm so excited about this?!?!  Well because I know I was a small part of the team that helped to make this happen.  I loved Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution season one!  I mean here's a show that's not out there to change just an individual's life or even a family's life - it's a show trying to make such an impact by targeting a whole school district.  It's absolutely incredible!

So when my friend Juice and I heard that Jamie Oliver was coming to the LAUSD, we were excited!  But of course the LAUSD members didn't want any part of the show and didn't want any of the schools to be filmed.  I wondered why?  What's the big deal?  He's trying to clean up our cafeterias! Well I must admit that I attended private schools only up until college so I never experienced LAUSD's cafeteria food.  So I don't really know first hand how bad the food is.

I was watching the second episode of this current season of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution when the children from LAUSD brought the food they were being served to Jamie Oliver's kitchen.  What I saw shocked me...there were wrapped danishes, pizza, chocolate milk - all kinds of junk food.  Had I known this was being served, I would have begged my parents to enroll me in a public school haha!

Well that episode made me realize that wow, they have a lot to hide and to be afraid of should this show air.  At the beginning of the year, I was one of those people who emailed every single LAUSD board member to let Jamie Oliver into their schools.  Watching this second episode made me realize how important those emails were and how truly we can all make a difference by doing something small.

So if you don't like the food being served to your kids at school, do something about it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment