Monday, February 7, 2011

HOMEMADE MEALS MONDAYS: garam masala roasted chicken

So the hubs and I watched the documentary Food Inc. last year and it totally changed the way we viewed food, specially chicken and beef.  You see he and I love roasted chicken. We would always get a whole roasted chicken from Costco because they are always so juicy and so plumped...until we saw that documentary. There is a reason why those chickens are so big and it is not good! (Watch the documentary if you haven't!)  So we vowed NEVER to eat Tyson roasted chicken from Costco EVER AGAIN.

So I had to come up with my own recipe using organic, free-range chicken. One of my girlfriends from work has suggested that I try garam masala with my protein as it is very tasty.  So I bought a little container of Spicely organic garam masala from Wholefoods a while back. Garam masala is an all-purpose spice used mainly in Indian dishes.  Reading straight from the packaging...it contains cinnamon, coriander, fennel, cumin, black pepper, cardamom and cloves. That's it! So I came up with a very simple roasted chicken recipe using this and I was pleasantly surprised on how moist and tasty it is! The hubs really loved it too, so I'll probably make it quite often!

GARAM MASALA ROASTED CHICKEN
  
1 organic, free-range whole chicken (about 3 lbs)
1/4 cup of organic butter (slightly melted)
1/2 organic apple of any kind (cut in half)
1 tablespoon of garam masala (try the Spicely brand as it has no salt, preservatives, wheat, etc.)
salt & pepper

ingredients
First pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Rinse the whole chicken, removing the giblets, etc. and pat dry.  Now brush the melted butter all over the chicken including the cavity (I used my hand and it was messy so I suggest some sort of a brush).  Add salt and pepper everywhere.  Then rub the garam masala seasoning all over including the cavity.  Then insert the apple slices inside the cavity to keep the chicken moist.  Finally, place the chicken on a roasting pan and bake for an hour and a half (until the internal temp is 180 degrees).  That's it!  Super simple, super moist and super yum!!!  :)

garam masala roasted chicken - yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment